Club Membership - FAQ's
We hope the information below answers your questions regarding club membership. Should you have any further questions please contact us.
The club offers two types of membership:
1. Free membership which is open to:
- Current staff of Oxford University, Colleges and certain associated institutions (e.g. Oxford University Press)
- All retired University and College staff (including partners/spouses)
- Persons registered as graduate students
- Visitors, temporarily in residence or undertaking advanced study or fulfilling contractual obligations to the University.
2. Associate membership for £25 per annum which is open to:
- Friends and family of Ordinary members, membership for these applicants could be withheld in extreme circumstances and it is at the discretion of the club General Manager.
- Ex staff of Oxford University who left employment before retirement
- Alumni of Oxford University
- Associate members, those who do not fall into any of the above categories but have an affiliation with the University may apply as an associate member, outlining their connection. Membership is at the discretion of the General Manager of the University Club.
The determination of eligibility rules for membership and membership fees including the waiving of said fees are at the discretion of the General Manager who retains the right to change them at any time.
For free and associate membership, simply complete one of our online membership forms. If you do not have access to the internet then contact us at reception.
Free membership holders only need to renew their membership if you lose your University card, your card expires or any of your personal details change like your email address. Associate membership holders need to renew their membership annually.
You can renew membership in a number of ways:
- Visit the club reception with your membership card. We will be able to make the changes for you, and take membership subscription as required.
- If you are not based in Oxford please contact us quoting your name and seven digit membership number as they appear on your (University) membership card and any changes in details. If payment is required please supply a phone number and we can take membership payment over the phone, or you can send a cheque. Cheques should be made payable to The University Club, Oxford University for £25.00.
Contact us requesting the address or addresses to be removed from our mailing list. Please supply the email address that you registered with.
When you visit the club, if your swipe card works at the door, you are still a member. If not, visit us at reception and we can help you. Alternatively contact us and provide us with your details and we will check and let you know.
If your Oxford University card has the status ‘undergraduate’ you are not eligible to join the Club. However, if you are fourth year or above and your college treats you as equivalent to a Graduate student, you are eligible to join. Unfortunately we cannot accept online membership forms. You will need to apply in person at the Club reception, and bring a letter on headed paper from the College stating that ‘you are equivalent status to a Graduate student’.
Our rules state that membership applications take a minimum of 48 hours to process from the time that the online membership form was submitted. If you haven’t received your membership after a 48 hour period then do get in touch with us.
Free members: on completing the online membership application your Oxford University card will be activated for entry to the club.
Associate members (and free members without an Oxford University card): once you have paid your membership subscription, the club will issue you with a club swipe card for access.
If you have an OULS/Bodleian Readers Card please bring that to reception and we can activate this card for access to the Club.
We welcome children and young people. We ask that parents supervise their children whilst in the club respecting other customers. We do not recommend that parents leave their children by themselves at any time. Under 15’s may not enter the bar area unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Unfortunately we do not allow customers to bring food or drinks into the club. We do have a reasonably priced café and bar where you can order food and drinks.
Yes. Members are welcome to bring an unlimited amount of guests into the club.